Mesquite District Update for December 27, 2012
Thieves look for easy opportunities to steal. Remembering a few simple rules will help you avoid being a victim.
• Close your garage door. Leaving your garage door open is an invitation for a thief to take your belongings.
• Always lock your car and close your windows, even if you're only going to be away from your vehicle for a moment. An unlocked vehicle equals a happy thief.
• Keep valuables out of sight. If you must keep valuables in your vehicle, make sure they're hidden. Even an empty backpack or gym bag can be tempting to a thief; they don't know it's empty.
• If possible, park your locked vehicle inside the garage. If you park outside, always take your garage door opener with you. Remember, a garage door opener is as good as a key to your home!
• Turn on the exterior lights around your house. Light is a deterrent to crime.
Take a second look at your car and home today to make sure that you are not increasing your chances of becoming a victim.
To report suspicious activity in your community, contact the Peoria Police Department non-emergency line at 623-773-8311. Contact 911 for a crime in progress.