Trail Safety Tips
Make sure you hydrate yourself. This means drinking water before you begin your hike. Make sure you carry water with you while you are hiking, and have water available at the conclusion of your hike. The park next to the East Wing Mountain Trail has cool water available located at the restroom building. WestWing Park located near WestWing and Sunrise Mountain Trails also has cool water available located at the restroom.
- Make sure you wear a pair of sturdy close toed shoes or boots that have tread designed for hiking. This will give you extra stability on the hiking trails. As the trails get dry and hard, they can become slicker and a quality tread on your shoes or boots will help your control of staying on the trails.
- If possible, hike earlier in the day. The temperatures increase rapidly over the course of the day, and even dusk hours are quite high because the sun will bake the boulders and rocks throughout the day and radiate heat into the evening hours. Wear sunscreen to help protect you from the sun’s harmful rays or wear lightweight long sleeves with hats that have larger brims.
- Know where you are going and ensure someone knows that you are hiking and when you should be returning. If possible, hike with a partner.
- Stay on designated trails. The trails are designed for your safety and it is important that you keep yourself under control on the designated trails.
- Please report any trail abnormalities to the Peoria Community Services Department at 623-773-7137 or a Park Ranger at 623-764-0407.