New Home Xeriscape Rebate Program – $150
Water Conservation Rebate Program - CLOSED
The Water Conservation Rebate Program is now closed. The Program will resume in July, 2014 pending City Council approval.
Purpose: To encourage residents to choose low-water-use landscaping when purchasing a new home.
Description: Xeriscape refers to seven principles, which if used properly, ensure that landscapes are water efficient, yet creative and colorful:
- Proper landscape planning and design
- Low water use plants
- Appropriate turf areas
- Efficient irrigation
- Soil improvements
- Use of mulches
- Appropriate maintenance
Requirements: An account holder will be eligible to receive a rebate - If they meet the following requirements:
- A City of Peoria water customer (not sewer or trash-only).
- Home must be purchased on or after July 1, 2013. Proof of new home construction is required. Sales contract or purchase agreement must be attached to application.
- A copy of the yard design, irrigation plan, and plant list from the builder must be submitted with the application.
- Fifty percent or more of the total landscaping area (front and back) must be xeriscape landscaping. This does not include pools, buildings, patios or driveways as part of the landscaped square footage. Of the Xeriscape landscaping there must be a minimum 50% plant material (at maturity). The determination as to which groundcovers, shrubs, and trees are to be considered low water use is based on the comprehensive Low-Water-Use Plant List compiled by the Arizona Department of Water Resources.
To view the Arizona Department of Water Resources Phoenix Active Management Area Drought Tolerant / Low Water Use Plant List click HERE.
To view the Arizona Municipal Water Users Association publication titled Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert click HERE. Please note that that the AMWUA publication does not include all drought tolerant / low water use plants. The complete list of plants can be viewed by clicking on the ADWR link above.
- No fountains may exist unless they are of a cascading and non-spray design.
- The installation of an inorganic groundcover must not conflict with other City of Peoria landscaping requirements as prescribed by existing policies, procedures, and ordinances.
- Upon meeting all requirements, a one-time credit of $150.00 will appear on your City of Peoria utility bill within 1-2 billing cycles. You will be notified by Environmental Resources Division staff once this occurs.
Procedure: All potential applicants must first complete an Rebate Application Request Form. To request an application, complete the online REBATE APPLICATION REQUEST FORM or call (623) 773-7286.
Once your name, address, phone number, and account number have been verified, an official application will be sent through the mail. Complete the application and submit it to the Environmental Resources Division. The Water Conservation staff will review your application and schedule an inspection to view your landscape to see if it meets the program requirements.
Environmental Resources Division