Xeriscape Conversion Rebate Program – up to $1650
How it works: Xeriscape can create a permanent reduction in the amount of outdoor water waste, by planting environmentally sensitive landscapes. Peoria water customers that converted to Xeriscape saved an average of 19% on their water use.
Xeriscape refers to seven principles, which if used properly, ensure that landscapes are water efficient, yet creative and colorful:
- Proper landscape planning and design
- Low water use plants
- Appropriate turf areas
- Efficient irrigation
- Soil improvements
- Use of mulches
- Appropriate maintenance
Click HERE to view Xeriscape: Landscaping with Style in the Arizona Desert.
Rebate Procedure: An account holder will be eligible to receive a rebate (one rebate per account per fiscal year) if:
- Check your water bill to verify that you are a City of Peoria water customer.
- Complete an application and scan or mail it to us. The City will contact you to schedule a preconversion measurement inspection.
- Install your Xeriscape or have it installed. (Save your receipt/invoice copies.)
- Upon completion, contact us to schedule a post conversion inspection.
- Provide copy of the receipt/invoice to City staff at post inspection.
- Must complete conversion within one year after application submittal to the water conservation office.
- It may take up to 2 billing cycles for credit to post to your account.
- Plant material must be chosen from the Arizona Department of Water Resources Phoenix Active Management Area Drought Tolerant/Low Water Use Plant List. All trees and plants will be calculated at its mature size.
To view the Arizona Department of Water Resources Phoenix Active Management Area Drought Tolerant / Low Water Use Plant List click HERE.
To view the Arizona Municipal Water Users Association publication titled Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert click HERE. Please note that that the AMWUA publication does not include all drought tolerant / low water use plants. The complete list of plants can be viewed by clicking on the ADWR link above.
**Property must have a minimum of 500 square feet of turf area that will be removed. Minimum planting of 25% low water use plant material (at maturity) coverage installed in the conversion area. City of Peoria water customer accounts will be credited up to $1650. Inspection of Property required before grass is removed and after conversion is completed.
Environmental Resources Division