Xeriscape Conversion Rebate Program – up to $1650
Purpose: To encourage a permanent reduction in the amount of water used for landscape irrigation by incentivising the conversion of residential and commercial landscapes to Xeriscape, an environementally sustainable alternative to high water turf landscapes.
Description: Xeriscape refers to seven principles, which if used properly, ensure that landscapes are water efficient, yet creative and colorful:
- Proper landscape planning and design
- Low water use plants
- Appropriate turf areas
- Efficient irrigation
- Soil improvements
- Use of mulches
- Appropriate maintenance
Click HERE to view Xeriscape: Landscaping with Style in the Arizona Desert.
Requirements: An account holder will be eligible to receive a rebate (one rebate per account per fiscal year) if:
- A City of Peoria water customer (not sewer or trash-only). Must have an individual account directly billed by the City of Peoria.
- At least 500 square feet must be converted from high water use landscaping (i.e. grass) to Xeriscape.
- Landscapes must be measured and photographed by Water Conservation staff before and after the conversion.
- Landscape conversions made without prior inspection must have been completed after July 1, 2014 and present copies of receipts, complete plant list, and before photos that show proof of grass. (Photos of dirt patches are unacceptable. No exceptions.) Please call for more information on the before and after inspection process.
- Copies of purchase receipts and complete plant list required.
- To qualify for the minimum rebate, at least 25% plant material must be installed. To qualify for the maximum rebate amount, at least 50% plant material must be installed. Plant material must be chosen from the Arizona Department of Water Resources Phoenix Active Management Area Drought Tolerant/Low Water Use Plant List. All trees and plants will be calculated at its mature size.
To view the Arizona Department of Water Resources Phoenix Active Management Area Drought Tolerant / Low Water Use Plant List click HERE.
To view the Arizona Municipal Water Users Association publication titled Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert click HERE. Please note that that the AMWUA publication does not include all drought tolerant / low water use plants. The complete list of plants can be viewed by clicking on the ADWR link above.
- Artificial/synthetic turf installation only is ineligible for the program.
- Zero-scape installations, or rock only are ineligible for this program.
- No fountains may exist on the applicant's property unless they are of a cascading and non-spray design.
- Per City of Peoria code all irrigation systems must have a backflow preventer and a City permit is needed if electrical or plumbing work is part of the conversion. The permit fee will be waived as part of this program.
- The installation of an inorganic groundcover must not conflict with other City of Peoria landscaping requirements as prescribed by existing policies, procedures, and ordinances.
- Must complete conversion within one year after application submittal to the water conservation office.
- Previous rebate application requests and rebate credits are ineligible for this program.
Procedure: All potential applicants must first complete an Rebate Application Request Form. To request an application, complete the online REBATE APPLICATION REQUEST FORM or call (623) 773-7286.
Once your name, address, phone number, and account number have been verified, an official application will be sent via email or through standard mail. Before beginning your landscape conversion, complete the application and submit it to the Environmental Resources Division. The Water Conservation staff will review your application and schedule a pre-conversion inspection to view the area you will be converting to ensure it will meet the program requirements.
NOTE: The landscape will be measured and photographed before and after the conversion. After the pre-inspection is complete, you may begin your landscape conversion. The use of impermeable plastic sheeting in your landscape is not allowed under this program. Please make sure that your conversion project meets your HOA and/or community’s landscape ordinance requirements. When your conversion is complete, please contact the Environmental Resources Division at (623) 773-7286 to schedule post-conversion inspection of the landscape. All applicants must provide copies of your purchase receipts from the conversion and a list of the plants that were installed in the landscape at the time of the post-conversion inspection. After the post-conversion inspection is approved, the credit (based upon the chart below) will appear on your City of Peoria utility bill within 1-2 billing cycles. You will be notified by Environmental Resources Division staff when this occurs.
|Xeriscape Rebate Amounts - Based upon area converted and percent of low water use plant material (at maturity).
*Same rebate amount for all customer types
|Properties that add 50% or more low water use plant material
||Properties that add 25% low water use plant material
|500 -999 sq ft= $225
|1000 - 1499 sq ft = $375
|1500 - 1999 sq ft = $525
|2000 - 2499 sq ft = $675
|2500 - 2999 sq ft = $825
|3,000-3,999 sq ft = $1050
|4,000-4,999 sq ft = $1350
|5,000+ sq ft = $1650
|500 - 999 sq ft = $90
|1000 - 1499 sq ft = $150
|1500 - 1999 sq ft = $210
|2000 - 2499 sq ft = $270
|2500 - 2999 sq ft = $330
|3,000-3,999 sq ft = $420
|4,000-4,999 sq ft = $540
|5,000+ sq ft = $660
Environmental Resources Division